Monday 20 July 2015

Violence

http://pakteahouse.net/2015/07/21/nilofers-corner-violence/

I hate violence. Lord since when have I started using language and tone which is violent to describe my aversion to violence? Something has happened in the past 10 years, to me, in Pakistan. There has been too much violence. This is from someone who is blessed and safe. And yet the environment of uncertainty constant violence physical and cultural is everywhere. Conversations justify violence. Actions ignore violence our conscience have become numb. Is this a self-preservation mode we have turned on? I don’t know is this an excuse to justify the growth and apathy by so many of the violence all around us?
So easily television anchors demand scream and write ‘hang this one kill this one eliminate that one’. Killing comes so easily. Where did the value of life disappear? Does any faith if that is the currency of value these days, not value life? Reality check. No one actually reads or is knowledge literate. Having so many souls in each family probably numbs one and valuing each and every precious soul becomes a challenge. Perhaps the justification of so many collateral fatalities.
Violence doesn’t only come physically here. ‘she is not like that’ what does that mean? ‘But you know they don’t believe in….’ I hate…’ where is all this going? Violence. Justified.
This isn’t the Pakistan I remember. Truly. Yes I don’t remember as a child what Zia ul Haq was doing to women, politicians, laws and culture.
My Pakistan was swimming in Islamabad club with friends after school. I didn’t know the answer of whether I was a Sunni or a Shia when asked by my Islamiat teacher. We walked or cycled to friend’s homes without a care in the world. There were no guards in any homes. MY only fear was please please I hope my sleepover friends haven’t chosen a horror movie. Hate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment